Friday, October 2, 2009
Posted by Guy Edwards
In our two previous posts "Move over Lucy" and "A Planet Where Ape Evolved from Man?" we introduced you to Ardi
Discovery Channel has some fine previews of a special they will be premiering October 11th. Yhe show is titled Understanding Ardi.
Check out the entire website here
UNDERSTANDING ARDI, a one-hour special produced in collaboration with CBS News will air at 11 PM (ET/PT) immediately following DISCOVERING ARDI. The special is moderated by former CBS and CNN anchor Paula Zahn and includes research team members Dr. Tim White, Dr. Yohannes Haile-Selassie, Dr. Giday WoldeGabriel, Dr. Owen Lovejoy, and science journalist Ann Gibbons
The scientific investigation began in the Ethiopian desert 17 years ago, and now opens a new chapter on human evolution, revealing the first evolutionary steps our ancestors took after we diverged from a common ancestor we once shared with living chimpanzees. "Ardi's" centerpiece skeleton, the other hominids she lived with, and the rocks, soils, plants and animals that made up her world were analyzed in laboratories around the world, and the scientists have now published their findings in the prestigious journal Science.
"Ardi" is now the oldest skeleton from our (hominid) branch of the primate family tree. These Ethiopian discoveries reveal an early grade of human evolution in Africa that predated the famous Australopithecus nicknamed "Lucy." Ardipithecus was a woodland creature with a small brain, long arms, and short legs. The pelvis and feet show a primitive form of two-legged walking on the ground, but Ardipithecus was also a capable tree climber, with long fingers and big toes that allowed their feet to grasp like an ape's. The discoveries answer old questions about how hominids became bipedal.
- ► 2014 (74)
- ► 2013 (160)
- ► 2012 (349)
- ► 2011 (175)
- ► 2010 (251)
- Global Warming = Bigfoot Migrates North
- Bigfoot and the Indiana Banana
- Jane Goodall: (Bigfoot) I'm sure that they exist.
- TOP 10 TUES: Why Bigfoot is Bunk
- Doin' IT with Neanderthals
- Abominible Snowman (Yeti) on MonsterQuest
- The Monkey Man of New Delhi: India's Bigfoot
- Hibagon: Japanese Bigfoot
- Oct 20th: A Special Day for Bigfooters
- 99% Human 1% Unknown primate
- More Than One in Three Americans Would Like to See...
- Loren Coleman makes USA Today News
- Werewolves and Bigfoot
- Dont Miss Discovering Ardi
- Aridi did descend from apes
- Walking Sam added to AKA Bigfoot World map
- Discovering Ardi
- Bigfoot a Trend?
- UPDATE: Orang Pendek
- Bigfoot Goes Savage
- Move Over, Lucy; Ardi May Be Oldest Human Ancestor...
- A Planet where Ape Evolved from Man?
- Hobbit Still Stirring Things Up
- ▼ October 2009 (23)
- ► 2008 (91)